View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2017, 03:33 PM   #13
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
IMO, , floor traction vs wheel duro/compostion + skate setup + skater talent level + ability to tune correctly.

Please do not get compounds and duro conflated. Many sk8rs think if wheel "A" is a 96 then wheel "B" which is also supposed to be a 96 will perform the same way. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Compound and tire profile are huge players here. Let's talk about profile for a minute. When one has access to various profile wheels in identical compounds, much can be learned. I will use Corey Skates excellent product as examples. I have rolled Enforcers, Super Enforcers, Phantoms and even some of Geoff Brown's HebeGB wheels all in VFH. The Enforcers and Super Enforcers are heavier (bearings not considered here) and do not roll as well. Fatter tires flex more and slows the roll. I have detected no appreciable difference in grip however.

Compound is a whole different ball of worms because in most cases it is difficult to find a wheel profile that is similar across manufacturers. Bones Turbos are a decent match against Scott's Phantoms however. The Bones seem to have marginally less roll and grip when compared to comparable durometers of Scott's wheels. The Bones sure as heck don't wear any where close to as well however.

Basically it comes down to this. Nobody can tell another sk8r what will work for them in the context of wheels and guarantee they will be right. They could get you close, or be off in left field. Note I said close. You could be happy with close, very happy. But ignorance is bliss. Until you have learned to deal w/ all the variables discussed so far, you will never know if you are in that very elusive sweet spot. When 1/4 turn of an action nut can make a pair of sk8s feel totally different... well that should give you an idea of where to start.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun. If you are on line, searching for truth on the internet, be prepared to be amazed, confused, angered and even infected with a disease... but keep that fun goal in view always.
"The difference between good skates and great skates comes from knowing where to get the numbers."

Last edited by Doc Sk8; October 12th, 2017 at 01:22 PM.
Doc Sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote