View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #37
CANDLECHIC
*Mz.Crafty 2 U*

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNaDo View Post
I believe when our pack of hairdressers that I mentioned came to Pike it was early in 1971... you were probably among the wonderful Artistic skaters that we discovered at the Sunday evening session. WOW, to a bunch of newbies you were all so beautiful and even after I started skating with my husband (married him in '73 but didn't start skating together until '76) and could do most any dance that you beautiful skaters could do my memories of you guys was still the same... you still all looked like Fred and Ginger to me!!! Never even knew the names of most of those beautiful skaters. Only a guy named Richard who skated with a girl named Maureen, and one great "sweet girl" named Becky... Vaguely remember a Tall thin dark hair guy who someone said had just gotten married. Maybe that was you??? The name Joe seems to come to mind???? Never got to know any of those skaters they just started disappearing slowly... marriage, tight budget, all the normal reasons.

I only knew Theo and Sue... Kenny took lessons from Sue sometimes having a partner and sometimes not. and I took lessons from Theo after taking the Sunday night Waltz class for Adults (only for a few months though) . Boy !!! could Theo bellow!!!! I remember how he used to stomp his foot on the floor and bellow "you've got to...'FEEL THE FLOOR'.!!!" It took me until 1977 to know what Theo meant. When Kenny and I moved here (Harrisburg) we really teamed up and joined a club and took lessons as a team. "That's" when I "felt the floor" for the first time. By 1978 we finally accomplished something... Silver Medals at the state championships. And what an honor for us... Sue was presenting medals that day!!! She had tears streaming down her face because she was so happy for us. On that day I remembered all you guys!!! And I finally felt like "I probably looked as nice as the memories I had of all you guys" After that Kenny and I didn't compete as much, he just wanted to have fun and we sure did... In that short 5 years or so he took me from a casual session skater to the State Silver Medal (Esquire Dance) and then just for fun right up thru to the Harris Tango, Paso Doble, and Continental (and Imperial ) Waltz. What a great ride !!!

We stopped skating for 25 years but the kids and Grandkids got us back to skating about 3 years ago and we are loving it! Shortly after our return to skating Kenny was out there "trying to impress the ladies with 3 turns" and WHAM !!! right down onto the back of his head... he wasn't unconcious like you but did have to get 10 stitches. Most of what we used to do has come back to him... me? I am a little slower, just now am I starting to work on my backward skating again... But at 60, thats OK.

And God Bless you for that Christmas tree gift!!! About 15 years ago Kenny and I hit a tough time financially. It was Christmas week and the words, "we have to choose between a Christmas Tree or Christmas Dinner we don't have enough money for both" had just come out of my mouth when the door bell rang. The Landlord who we rented my shop and our apartment from was at the door with a "left over" Tree from the Jaycees Club sales. And I'm sure you can guess how that story ended!!!

When you get a picture of you two standing in front of Pike please post it here... We would LOVE to see that!!!!!

retread (from this Forum) posted 2 pic's for me and Kenny so you can see what we look like today!!!
Here is the link... it's almost at the bottom of that page.
http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=9173

and here is a link to what we looked like "back in the day"
again scroll down to the bottom of hte page.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeoff57/reginam2/id36.html
The greatest thing about skating is... you never feel as old as you look!!!
Thank you Kwite Tite, I've enjoyed sharing memories....

Ever been in JOhnstown? My family /entirely is from there ...still lives there.
I have skated at the Johnstown skateland a few times in my hayday ( turning 33) this year ......so I know Im a youngin 'lol
CANDLECHIC is offline   Reply With Quote