View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #31
Kwite-Tite
Ancient Flea Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNaDo View Post
When we still lived in the Philadelphia Area (in the early 70's) My husband and I met and skated at Pike Rollarena, South Hampton Pa. Any one else ever skate there??? ......
I was a Pike Rollarena Rink Rat. I even slept there one night on the organ stage during a weekend long invitational competition! During my most competitive years in the mid 1960's, I probably was there 4 nights a week either at a session or "dance step and figures night", not including the 2 private lessons a week by myself and with my partner. Like you, I met my wife there when her parents brought her up from NE Philly because they heard of Bill Clark and wanted to see him in person. We were 15 at the time, and we've now been married for 35 years. It was ironic to see your post because I was looking at old photos last week taken at the rink during the wedding reception for the rink owner's son. Talk about a large dance floor! The building is still there, but it has changed its use several times over the decades. My parents house was 5 minutes away, and I passed it many times until their nearly simultaneous passing several years ago. Despite my formal dance training, I loved to fleahop and have fond memories of steaming around the rink to Bill Clark's bouncing organ music with 10-20 of the other regulars, clacking our skates, putting one leg up on the railing, and seeing my parents beaming from the seats. Sweet youth....

The love for skating must be in our genes, because my daughter and son both skate, with my son an avid skater with many more pairs of skates than I ever dreamed of owning, and an extremely active member of the Skatelog forum (CHSC Floor Guard)
Kwite-Tite is offline   Reply With Quote