View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2017, 03:45 PM   #5
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred875 View Post
small world indeed! did you ride the minty red 900rr at first then upgrade?
That's me. I actually still had the CBR until this past September. I sold it to another NESR member.
Quote:
A friend used to (still does?) go to roller kingdom in Hudson...i grew up at roller kingdom in woonsocket and I felt like I was walking into a time capsule when I met with the GM yesterday....I am going to head up there soon despite the ride ..it's almost an hour, I am in Lincoln, RI.
I have skated the old Woonsocket Roller Kingdom. The floor got flooded and warped beyond repair. This was probably 12 or so years ago. We also used to run speed skating practices out of the Hudson rink until about April of 2015. At the time, the floor hadn't been coated in years and became too slippery to be safe for the speeds we were trying to achieve. I heard that they have since coated the floor.
Quote:
I stumbled across this place online yesterday...it's around 45mins from me....says have Speed Practice on Tuesday nights...that's what I'm talking about!
You're talking about Forrest's Family Fun Center in Taunton. The team I skate on (Vortex Racing) is part of the speed skating that you mentioned. One of the Boston Roller Derby coaches (aka Speedy Dan) is coaching the practices. It's mainly inline speed skaters, but both derby and quad skaters are also welcome. The floor is quite large, being 190'x90'. Forrest had tried doing an adult night on Tuesday, but it never took off. Like I mentioned, the best adult session in the "area" is at Skateland n Haverhill, but it's quite a hike at close to 90 minutes.

Vortex also runs out of the Interskate 91 South rink in Wilbraham MA, which is about a 75 minute ride from where I am in Blackstone. The team had a fund raiser and recently had the floor coated and will keep coating the floor every six months.

Welcome back. You never really get skating out of your system, if you did a lot of it in your younger years.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote