View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2020, 04:07 AM   #64
FlailingLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Testing a pair of 688 hybrid ceramic bearings that have 11 ball compliment.

Normally they have 9 ball compliment, which usually lasts about 2 years for good bearings. Recently Bont sent me some 688" swiss" and instead of 9 balls like they were supposed to habe. They had 7. They died... quickly. Maybe 15 hours of skating to failure? Really only about 1 hour of hard use..

Right now it's on a more friendly environment. Currently on a kingpin plate I use, A snyder royal. Once I remount my Arius onto a Solaris, the abuse will really start.

I'm hopeful that the additional 2 balls will subdue the loads enough so the balls wont break/fracture. I dont know if they are HIP formed or not though, and I dont know their grade either. But generally speaking their surface finish is always better than steel.

If it survives 3 months I'll buy a full set.
Have you tested hybrid 688 bearings in the past? or just steel ball? I'd imagine these smaller bearings fail because of the race channel depth, and an inability to deal with axial loads. There is a type of bearing called "angular contact" that is designed to cope with much higher axial loads than the traditional ball bearings skates use. I'd be curious to see a full ceramic angular contact micro bearing.

What type of ceramic balls do your 11 ball bearings use? Zirconia Oxide (the white) has a decently higher crack resistance than the Silicon Nitride (dark grey)

This is an 8mm angular contact skate bearing https://www.vxb.com/708C-Angular-Con...p/kit14249.htm haven't found sealed bearings in this size yet.
FlailingLlama is offline   Reply With Quote