View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #16
IraSiegel

Great pictures and picture descriptions, Kathie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
I'm not sure I would use the world "nice" to describe Venice Beach but it's a fantastic place. It's more funky and retro then nice... a throwback to the 1960's and earlier. I don't think it has changed much in 50 years and we don't want it to change at all. Venice is a wild scene and a big party every weekend. Oceanfront Walk is filled with street vendors, musicians and all kinds of other street performers and you never know what or who you will see. If you want upscale shops and restaurants go to Santa Monica but if you want an afternoon of wild and crazy fun, Venice is the place. For more information see Visit Venice Beach and Venice Beach Drum Circle.
- Kathie
I have been running, biking and skating along Santa Monica and Venice Beaches on and off since the late 1970s, and they changed a lot since the late '70s. The biggest difference is that on any given day today, they are 2 to 4 times more crowded than on a corresponding day in the 70s. So, a lot today's versions of the "nice" weirdos who used to walk along the Venice walk way back in the '70s just don't come out any more and bikini clad skaters in Venice and Santa Monica are much rarer today. The crowds, particularly in the summer months, that, from about 11 a.m. to sunset, actually walk on what was originally intended to be a bike path, or cross it without looking both ways first, make skating physically dangerous.

On the other hand, the bike path itself has improved in a one step back, two steps forward way over the years. Now (as of this 5/27/07 edit) that the repaving of the parking lot at Temescal Canyon is finished, we can skate approximately 6 miles in each direction on smooth pathways from the northern portion of the Temesacal Canyon parking lot at Will Rogers Beach to the southern end of the Washington Boulevard parking lot at Venice Beach.

Last edited by IraSiegel; May 28th, 2007 at 05:01 AM.
IraSiegel is offline   Reply With Quote