View Single Post
Old December 30th, 2019, 11:25 AM   #3
NibblesMcGiblet

Doc - I received your PM and will reply to you shortly. For now though, I wanted to share what I just found about Hyde Athletic Industries in case anyone else gets directed here on a google search result like I have so many times.

"In 1910, Russian immigrant A.R. Hyde started a shoe company in Cambridge, Massachusetts, called Hyde Athletic Industries. Over the years, Hyde became known for making athletic footwear including brands such as SpotBilt and PF Flyers; Hyde Athletic Industries bought Saucony in the late 1960s, and moved it to Cambridge. In 1979 two of Saucony's running shoes were selected in the top 10 by Runner's World magazine (the Hornet was chosen best value) and by the following spring the demand for the product had gone up 20 fold. In the late 1980s, when Saucony became Hyde's dominant brand, the name of the company was officially changed from Hyde Athletic Industries to Saucony. "

source - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saucony#History

Well, I suppose that helps narrow down the boot manufacture date to something between 1910 and 2019! LOL

(just had a thought - I wonder if writing to Saucony with pics included might help me figure out the dates? Surely they have some kind of record of model numbers of their old skate boots, I would think.. ?)

---------

edit - maybe not. Since then, a number of additional sales have occurred. :/

"In 2005 Saucony was acquired by Stride Rite Corporation for $170 million. Stride Rite Corporation was then acquired in 2007 for $800 million by Payless ShoeSource and the combined company became known as Collective Brands. In 2012, the Performance Lifestyle Group of Collective Brands, which included Saucony, along with Keds, Stride Rite and Sperry Top-Sider, became part of Wolverine World Wide in a $1.23 billion transaction that also involved the sale of Payless ShoeSource and Collective Licensing International to private equity firms Blum Capital Partners and Golden Gate Capital."
NibblesMcGiblet is offline   Reply With Quote