View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2018, 01:55 PM   #10
tookieskates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Roll-line 57d are plastic not urethane, pity you suffered them.
Ancient1 is right on, get some inline skates, and just continue skating ice but outdoors.
Outdoor wheels should be 79-89a durometer, the 58d are 100+ on the a scale, making them indoor art wheels on a perfect floor.

Google inline cone skating, or slalom skating, the boots and wheels will be what you want.

Or, get some 79-89 roller skate wheels, not 100a plastic wheels.
Thanks for your comments. I see what you're saying, and I understand durometer. However, I contacted two different Roll-Line distributors and described my skating surfaces, and both got back to me with the same suggestion. I asked the first one that got back to me, "Are you sure? A harder wheel for this surface?" And they assured me that was correct. The only downfall they described was that the wheels would wear out more quickly on that surface. Having never skated on plastic wheels before, I took their word for it.

Roll-Line also writes about the Magnum wheels, "The Magnum is less expensive (than the Giotto and Urethane counterparts), yet, very high quality wheel, which is used on many types of skating surfaces including standard wood floors coated with plastic or poly urethane, but also unusual surfaces like, tile type basketball and volleyball courts, tennis courts (Indoor or outdoor), and concrete or terrazzo surfaces that are more common around the World. The Magnum FreeStyle Wheels are used a great deal internationally, where there are few indoor skating centers like there are here in the USA. The Magnum FreeStyle wheels are most often used on abusive surfaces where the life expectancy of the wheels on these tough surfaces are not very long, but very High Skating Quality both Grip and Roll are required."

So...all that to say....if anyone reading wants to really help out beginning skaters choose wheels and other skate parts, please write detailed reviews of products you buy online. Most of the websites I looked at had no reviews for the majority of their wheels, and reviews I did read were not very detailed. I stressed over this decision for weeks. Obviously I made the wrong choice in the end, but I was guided in this direction by people who sounded like they knew what they were talking about.

And yes, my 78A wheels are on the way, and I'm excited. (My other outdoor wheels are 85A. I'm going in the total opposite direction of the Roll-Lines now and getting something super soft for a steady and comfortable outdoor skating experience.)

Additionally, I was just given an old pair of inline skates in good condition 2 days ago from a friend, but I haven't had a chance to skate in them yet. They're just a recreational pair probably bought at a sporting goods store many years ago, nothing fancy, but they seem pretty nice quality. I'm not sure about the wheel quality straight out of the box but I'll look into it.
tookieskates is offline   Reply With Quote