Thread: Axle Help
View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2019, 01:58 PM   #17
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Fierocious1 didn't say anything about using Aluminum kingpins...

His point was bout the strength of red loctite. His homemade plate uses threaded rod thst he put loctite on nd didnt need a locknut, allowing him to run a taller cushion plate side. The loctite holds the kingpin in place so the adjuster nut on the end wont turn the kingpin, pretty simple.

Also, you WANT the axle "frozen" in the truck. It should not move or hve any play why so ever. Blue is not strong enough. You need green or red and they need to be the oil resistant versions.

Theres nothing wrong with his post or his setup. If he ever breaks a kingpin , extracting it may be a little more difficult, but not an issue for the mechanically inclined.
The setup in the pics uses 3/4" cushions. However I had been testing 1" cushions on that particular plate. Tried straight barrels, hourglass configuration and finally settled on 3/4" tapered/cones. Taller cushions allow for manipulation of turn radius @ certain plate tilt angles. Which can add to kick back or reduce it, at the end of the push. My kps are using all the threaded portion, locktited into place, so no need for urkle delicacies.... the plastic spacer is just that, a spacer. Can be removed for future testing, which is what they were designed for. These were my first machined test plates. I made several more but ended up using these the most. Lighter than SG White Magnums.

People with minimal mechanical skills, well engineering is way over their comprehension. These were designed with future testing in mind.

Last edited by fierocious1; November 19th, 2019 at 11:39 AM.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote