View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #38
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Nova View Post
Okay, I'm really new at the adjustable pivot pins and 45 degree trucks, so this might be a very stupid question.

I also have DA45 Skins, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the pivot pins. I just can't seem to get them short enough. When I switched to softer cushions (Am on yellow barrel, blue cone now) and cranked them down a bit (not a whole lot, really) I noticed that the geometry seemed off - the pivot pin pushed the truck up (or down, towards the floor) so that it is not at a right angle with the king pin and cushions. So I added some washers above the barrel cushion to get the angle right.

This sort of works, but I still need to have my pivot pins as short as they can go, and I think they're still pushing in the cups. Also there's not a whole lot of king pin left now, and I'm wondering if this really is the right way to go at it or if I'm making some sort of obvious rookie mistake...
Well, if your pivot pin is long, as in, pushing the truck out of alignment, the plate will not perform properly to begin with and the king pin will have more stress and may break. So, do what you gotta do to keep it aligned. (+1 on the washers) Perhaps a purple barrel with blue cone will prevent the stack from compressing. What you want to prevent is the barrel compressing, as, from a truck geometry point of view, the truck sits on the barrel not the cone. A purple blue setup should do this and will require LESS tightening to begin with, also lessening the problem. If you start to run out of king pin, to where you have less than a thread showing, just make sure your nylock nut has plenty of grip and check it regularly so it does not come off.