View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2018, 09:00 AM   #6
Oicusk82huh

Thanks for keeping us posted. I think we were going through the process of finding new skates at the same time. I hope you don't mind if I share my experience here too.

I chose the Riedell 172 with the Mistral plate. It gave me superior edge control, balance and spins. It almost felt like cheating. Immediately I could do 3 turns in the opposite direction, which I could not do on my old skates.

I switched that plate. The only thing I found unsatisfactory on that frame was the toe plug. I feel that even the metal mount of the jam plug was too big. I like doing exaggerated matrix/grapevines and toe spins, so I felt that it was a handicap, I'm telling you, it is a BIG mount. I had it switched out for the Giotto Plate. It is exactly the same plate, but without the toe plug. The 172 boot is very comfortable and allows for more control because it is a little stiffer, but not too stiff. Because the boot is stiffer, it responds better so I don't have to lace it up past the ankle. I like the increased flexibility/responsiveness.

I have the size 160 plate on a size 7 boot. You have a size 160 plate on the size 9 boot. Can you tell us more about that? How did you decide to try that? I had wanted to do that at one point, but chickened out. I've noticed that a lot of skaters have a similar build and they love it. Do you ever feel unbalanced? What size was your Sure Grip plate? Sorry for annoying questions.

Sometimes I hug my skates when no one is looking.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote