View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2019, 04:21 PM   #6
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
It depends on what kind of skating you are doing. Toe stops are essential for artistic skating as half of the major jumps use a toe stop assist. You can't do a Mapes, Flip or Lutz jump without toe stops. Even right at the start you can't do a bunny hop or a simple half-mapes without them. Toe-stops aren't just for stopping, they can be a major power and speed assist. So removing them limits your skating quite a bit, whereas I have no problem whatsoever skating on my toes, doing barrel rolls, grapevines, etc with my toestops in. Whereas the most of the jumps I can execute and half of the ones I plan on learning can not be done without the toe stops. There are types of skating that work much better without them but certain moves are absolutely impossible without them.

I also park skate and in my experience toe-stops are also a valuable part of quad vert. They assist on ramp climbs when necessary. Power assists. Some 'tricks,' like a mid-ramp stop and jump. And again, if you want to include artistic elements to vert skating, you are likely to 100% need the toe stops.
https://youtu.be/OhB5aL6hU4g

He doesnt use a stopper for the jump, but on the incorrect he does.

Some things arent hard to do without stoppers, some are ridiculous. Like lateral toe stepping on the front axles or jam plugs.

For any pivoting move you have to replace the stable stationary stopper with a flick of the toe in proper lateral force and rotation. It takes a lot of practice.