View Single Post
Old July 6th, 2019, 02:58 AM   #13
SkateMO

I know this post is getting somewhat off topic, but hey, there isn't a lot of feedback on this forum (unfortunately) these days. I had a chance to skate on the Bont Red Magic wheels on Wednesday and here is my take on the wheels and 125 in general. Keep in mind, this is the first time I have skated on 125 mm wheels in at least 2 years. On Wednesday, I skated about 16 miles, so a decent distance to form an initial impression. I agree with everything that has been said. I don't know if it's just me, and not being familiar with 125 mm wheels, but I did think the "set-up" felt heavy. I hate to use the word sluggish, but that's kind of what it felt like (skating on the Red Magic wheels). On the positive side of things, I thought the roll was excellent. I also thought the grip was great. I really felt like the wheels were outstanding, other than maybe the weight.

In terms of 125s, and again this is keeping in mind that I have only skated on them once in the last two years, so my opinion may change, but there is no doubt that the bigger wheels are faster (or roll better). I haven't done any fast miles in a really long time, and I was easily doing miles in the 2:36 range, which is a lot faster than what I've been putting out on 110s. Lately, my average on 110s, even though I don't time much anymore, is probably 2:48 to 2:56. So, my first day out on 125s I was in the 2:30s and honestly not even trying too hard.

With all that being said, I still prefer 110s. To me, the 125s require a lot more control. They are fun to skate on, but you really have to be on top of your technique in order to make them work. I still feel so much more comfortable on 110s. Maybe it was the weight of the Bont wheels, but I didn't feel like I could match my normal cadence without a significant increase in effort. From a racing perspective, I don't think 125s would be beneficial to anyone that isn't an elite skater. Again, I think they require you to really be on top of your game in the technique department and a lot of people don't have that. I do think someone with average technique could probably stick in a pace line and just roll (with the 125s), but if the course is technical or hilly or if there are a lot of changes in the pace of the race, I just don't see 125s being the right fit for the non-elite group. I think on the right skater, no doubt 125s are the way to go, but if I were going to race tomorrow, I'd probably still choose the 110s.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote