Thread: onearborist
View Single Post
Old January 17th, 2019, 05:25 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onearborist View Post
Hi Doc, I have to mount plates on a leather Carrera boot, size 8 boot, size 7 sure grip avanti plate.

The size 7 Avanti is too big for the size 8 Carrera. Sure Grip recommends a size 5 Avanti which is longer than I would use but still much better than the one you are planning to use.

I have a snyder mounting tool. Is the 3mm offset to the smaller toe side about normal for this/any mount. I know the front axle needs to be just in front of the ball of the foot a bit.

Not when I build them but you can certainly get by using that method. To be honest the Snyder tool is designed to do one thing. Provide a proper azimuth line on an art boot where the ball of the sk8rs foot is located exactly @ the widest part of the boot. If the ball of the foot is not there then all bets are off. Think the ball is there every time?? Go to the Brannock web site and read about the arch measurement.

I also have an aerobiskate reidell boot size 11 that is leather but the sole seems like its spongy/not leather or normal sole material. It's very comfortable.

Been there, done that.

I have a Crazy Venus plate for it, 283mm.

Again, longer than I would like but OK

I am taking off an aluminum plate (Aerobiskate??) that is riveted on and struggling with getting the rivets off. The old plate is crap so maybe I can just drill away and not sweat how I get the rivets off as long as I don't drill into the sole?

Do some searching here and in the quad forum. There is much discussion about plate removal. Almost as many ways to do it as people doing the task.

I'm looking at the same offset 3mm to the small toe side for this one too. I read about the best way of getting the right spot for the offset is to find the spot between where the second and third toes are.

Don't believe everything you read on the ol' interwebs. I get a lot of flack from the keyboard commandos about my technique, but I will center the front axle under the boot when I determine how far forward I want the axle to be.

Not sure how to do that very well. One is for my kid, size 8, one for me. We are recreational skates but want good equipment and we take lessons regularly. Improving constantly is the fun and the goal.
Good plan but you really need to get your son a shorter plate.