View Single Post
Old September 20th, 2015, 05:49 AM   #4
kev0

people who start slalom as adults (18-20+) are less likely to remain in the sport. as you have stated, typically other commitments prevent this group from practicing as much as they would like, as well as the notion that learning tricks is actually harder when you get older (you fall harder when you are older, and you also have your job/uni at the back of your mind).

in an earlier thread, http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=50675, it was once mentioned that slalom is actually a very boring sport. upper level tricks can take years to learn. in fact to my dismay, i find that i have posted in that exact thread over a year ago, and i am STILL practicing the same trick as i mentioned back then, but with a slightly better success rate. i can do 3 cone seven on heel maybe about 50-60% of the time (up from 30%), but 3 cone sevens on toe is still a stagnant 60-70%. this makes it the second to third year i am learning this trick.

to put things in perspective, i have quite a number of tricks i have in my pool of "to-practice" tricks. even after a year of my post, i can name a few tricks i have actually gotten worse at (chicken toe and heel around one cone). i usually practice most of my tricks whenever i skate in my own pace. (i don't train on one trick 500 times for instance - but it is probably the most efficient way of learning a new trick).

what keeps me going is that, i know this trick is difficult to land, and the feeling of landing it even one time is incredible. i feel that i am just a little bit more consistent after each successful landing.

i know there is a lot of frustration and self-bitterness in this sport. also, the time taken learn versus the reward payoff is, in my opinion, one of the lowest of any sport i can think of. those who have skated for years are extremely passionate about the sport. for me, my enjoyment for the sport grew as i got better at it, so keep it up
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote