View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2019, 05:37 PM   #23
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Even though they get dirty easily, the reds wont fail by the time someone will be able to afford quality parts.
Two sets failed for me after about the same amount of use.

Dirty isn't the problem. Finish failure is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Micros?
I'll have to dig them out of the trash. Lol. The cages failed on 2, and the raceway wore on another 2 that the cages didnt fail on. Steel caged for those, and I got some bont swiss 688 that are already quite scratchy with only 4 sessions on them. Recently changed trucks out that had a more proper axle shoulder. It should help fix the problem.

Some of the "better" 688 bearings ... I bought a new set, lightly oiled, ran them for 1 session and blackened EVERY phenolic retainer. They were wrecked. I cleaned them up real good and relived, seem ok now. I use no less than 10w30 synthetic motor oil in them anymore. Sewing machine oil or uncle Charlie's and others too, do not have enough wear protection at all. Synthetic motor oil > Overpriced bearing lube all day, every day.
Three things:

1. I run 7mm so there is more room for bearing in a 167 vs a 688.

2. As small as a 688 is can't imagine opening them up to fiddle with them is a good idea. Due to size there is very little room for error and any contamination would have a greater effect than on a 22mm OD bearing. I have never opened mine and they work great.

3. I have seen you skate. You don't skate like most other skaters so while you may "eat them for breakfast" many others might not. I'm not a snack bar skater and tend to run fairly hard for around 6 hours a week. Since our experiences are so different I'd think abut these three items before saying micro bearings are something other skaters shouldn't consider.