View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #29
MFND
Sweet Slice Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK View Post
There's a rink on the list in Youngstown call "Rollercade". I remember skating there in middle school for school skate partys.It was a great old place. It closed and the building was bought by the Schwebles baking company. The building is still standing and being used by them. There was another place in Boardman,Ohio called "RollerWorld".I think it was built in the late 70's. It didn't last long. It was a new build and seamed to have top of the line everything. From what i heard it was bad ownership/ managment that put it under.Everything was auctioned off and my friends father how owned a rink in nearby Salem ohio bought the floor.We cut it out loaded it up and put it in his rink....What a job that was as his rink was on the second floor.
I have skated at the Salem rink, not too many times though. My rink was another on the list in East Palestine OH called the Rollerena. I spent 7 quality years there not becoming a fat kid. They were absolutely the greatest years of my life. It was a rural rink and the crowd was very regular. From the old school figure types, and the kids that they had in the figure discipline, to me and my turd friends that only wanted to go flat out for the entire session. The floor was beautiful and the 4 corners of the rink had screen doors that were opened in the summer to let breeze blow through the rink. Alas, I moved away when I started High School, and when I moved back 3 years later it had since burned down. I did not skate during the years away, but tried to go back to it in 1991 or so at the Skate Connection in Boardman OH(YO KENNEDY!). It just wasnt the same the magic was gone. Now I am 34 and introducing my 7 year old to the rink and I really wish that it was the same. It isnt. However, she seems to really like it and I will keep going until I have to post again marking the demise of another rink that I came to love.
MFND is offline   Reply With Quote