View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2019, 02:14 AM   #7
John Nicholas

Thank you so much for all the fabulous responses! They are greatly appreciated!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
She needs stoppers in very few situations.

Backwards skating mainly. When rolling forwards a "stopper" is little better if at all than a T stop.

When skating backwards however, one can dump a large amount of force into them to stop fast.

She should learn T Stops, plow stops, spin stops, then 1 foot plows, then hockey stops.

T stops dont actually make a T, it's more like a wide V 45 deg to 70 deg foot position. The skater will be plying their arch of the braking foot into the heel of the gliding foot. The breaking foot should stay most under the skater, not behind them. The fore/aft foot separation is approximately a little less than a half step.

Pressure is applied to the outside wheels, with the inside slightly lifted up. This helps keep the skate flat on the floor. If you put pressure on the inner wheels it tends to roll over on the lips. Less pressure is better until the skater can control the move.
She's getting pretty good at the T stops, and does them at the shallower than 90 degree angle.

Can you please explain what plow stops, spin stops and 1 foot plows are??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzlefashizzle View Post
If skating with Jam plugs is what she wants to do, then best to let her have them while she's learning, that way she doesn't get into bad habits (using toe stops at full pelt backwards). I skated 27 years with toe stops, then made the transition to jam plugs, it was like learning to skate again. My 10 year old son put jam plugs in for the first time last week after having months on toe stops. He fell once or twice, but it's so worth getting used to jam plugs to have the freedom on your toes. On the other hand, I got my 18 year old daughter onto Jam plugs after 10 years of skating, only a few months ago. she was terrified to start with, as she'd already developed bad (toe stop) habits, she's got much more confidence now, but does still frighten herself at times. To help her with the transition though, I did cut a portion of her toe stop away with a hack saw, so she could get used to a higher toe stop for a while. Hope this helps
My daughter is 15 and she truly knows what she wants. She really appreciated your comments and has stated that she is going to stick with the jam plugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
It depends on what kind of skating you are doing. Toe stops are essential for artistic skating as half of the major jumps use a toe stop assist. You can't do a Mapes, Flip or Lutz jump without toe stops. Even right at the start you can't do a bunny hop or a simple half-mapes without them. Toe-stops aren't just for stopping, they can be a major power and speed assist. So removing them limits your skating quite a bit, whereas I have no problem whatsoever skating on my toes, doing barrel rolls, grapevines, etc with my toestops in. Whereas the most of the jumps I can execute and half of the ones I plan on learning can not be done without the toe stops. There are types of skating that work much better without them but certain moves are absolutely impossible without them.

I also park skate and in my experience toe-stops are also a valuable part of quad vert. They assist on ramp climbs when necessary. Power assists. Some 'tricks,' like a mid-ramp stop and jump. And again, if you want to include artistic elements to vert skating, you are likely to 100% need the toe stops.
My daughter has no interest (at least at this time) for artistic skating or park skating. She told me today that she wants her skating to be fun and will not put any pressure on herself to learn difficult moves. That skating is her relaxing time!

She already is in a Korean K-Pop dance group, is in all Honors classes in High School and wants to start artistic ice skating!!

So we are fine with her just rolling around the rink with whatever effort she aspires to devote to it. Today I could see much improvement and it's only the second session on her new skates. I was very proud of her, she was giving advice and pointers to a young teen beginner at the rink today!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
https://youtu.be/OhB5aL6hU4g

He doesnt use a stopper for the jump, but on the incorrect he does.

Some things arent hard to do without stoppers, some are ridiculous. Like lateral toe stepping on the front axles or jam plugs.

For any pivoting move you have to replace the stable stationary stopper with a flick of the toe in proper lateral force and rotation. It takes a lot of practice.
That is amazing form and control. But I know that's not something I have any desire to do. The dedication, skill and determination to skate in that manner is admirable and awe inspiring, but Neither my daughter or I have any interest in skating artistically.

Thanks for sharing all your comments and suggestions!
John Nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote