Thread: Light up wheels
View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2019, 08:09 PM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default Just a note here.

This is Doc's specialized forum, and it's common courtesy to allow his response to a question in his forum first before adding a response of your own for the OP. That is , after all, why this portion of SLF exists. To ask an expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra1922 View Post
I don't see any particular problem with a change from 54mm to 58mm wheels. The smaller wheels will be more manoeuvrable and better suited overall to artistic skating but 58mm wheels will also work.

One thing about light up wheels is they tend to be softer, around 78a. This is less important for a 6 year old than it is for a rather weighty fella like me, but you might want to compare with the hardness of your current wheels or speak the coach to check whether the hardness of light up wheels suitable for artistic skating.

Regardless you could buy a set and use them for the more fun skating sessions and swap back to the 54mm for lessons/practice. If you do this I'd advise buying bearings as well. It's easy to change a set of wheels, its a bit of a pain if you have to swap the bearings as well.
Personally, I'd buy what I could afford, and try to add lights on the skates separately of the wheels. This maximizes performance and aesthetics. Both the lights and the wheels can be transferred to a new skate setup. They can also be turned off if the skater wishes. Also, the urethane will eventually haze, and the lights dim. Light up wheels dont ususlly last a long time , and they have to be tighter on the axle which causes drag in itself.

The better the product you buy to start with the more likely you can succeed at a resale.

Better wheels roll and perform better and will resell easily compared to cheap ones.

The right cushions make a huge improvement on how a skate handles, one can use flat washers instead of cupped retainers for instance, lots of ways to help a little kiddo make the skate work for them.

Bearings, dont spend big money here. Get cheap ones. If you must be choosy, get the ones with plastic retainers(the things that hold the balls) buying high dollar bearings is the last thing I'd ever do.