View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #6
Trixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKS View Post
The skates available in thrift shops range from junk to really nice stuff. However, "junk" skates are just fine to learn on, provided they are comfortable, and that you don't pay more for them than they are worth. My first skates (inlines, free at a rummage sale, and totally junk) lasted me for a year before I was good enough to be able to appreciate a better skate. My next inlines (RollerBlade MacroBlades, $8 at Goodwill) were a much better skate, but they wouldn't have done me any good a year earlier. In fact, I wouldn't have gotten them a year earlier, because I'd have thought they were too small - they were barely used, and the liner was big and fluffy.

The advice I'd give to someone who already knows how to skate would be rather different than the advice I'd give to someone who doesn't know how to skate.
Problem is that if you haven't skated before, you won't know what complete junk is and what isn't. I do like the idea of second hand skates, there are plenty of decent hockey skates out there at places like Play It Again sports. I'd imagine you could some good learning hockey skates for about $60-$100 used.
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote