View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #58
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I have been working with a local guy who is an aspiring derby skater. He is out there to learn to skate, not just play derby. He skates A LOT. And im talking 5 to 6 days a week, 3 hours a day at least if not more. He practices a lot of transitions, both ways(left/right rotations) , forwards and backwards. His skill has progressed tremendously in the last 6 months.

We skate backwards chasing each other around the rink in pretty close quarters. Always trying to build agility, speed, precise control. THIS is where you need to be. At what ever level you are at, challenge yourself. Just make sure you have a "safe place" to go to in a time of need. Such as a tomahawk stop, (backwards skating to double toe stop ) or a very st4ong backwards to forwards transition and a spin/hockey/plow stop.

Ya know tho, whqt I learned last night at practice and session is my friend does not know how to plow stop. I was floored. Did not believe it that such a skater couldnt do a plow... considering I taught him how to backwards hockey stop and backwards plow stop recently, which to me takes more skill to perform. I always figured he knew already and since he could hockey stop he never did it.

Never sell yourself short. There are a lot of mediocre skaters and even newbies on our junior team that would make our coach look embarrassing when it came to a plow stopping! So just because you see a great skater, does not mean that they are as good as you may think they are. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, all you can do is work on them.

Work those transitions, edges, pivots, etc so you have 0 doubts about getting turned around and out of the currently intimidating backwards skating. I spend a lot of my time these days trying to flip back and forth randomly on either foot, either rotation to be ready for any instance that might happen while skating.

Check out a lot of hockey skating videos. Slalom skating videos on inlines will show a lot on how they edge, and how you will want to try to use your quad skate to do similar cuts. They arent exactly the same, but an inline skate really shows the type of edging going on because they lean so much, where its harder to see on a roller skate, as they dont lean over as much anf the side by side wheel setup doesn't give away an angle as well.

Learning slalom skating will help your edging and footwork skills tremendously. Maybe video yourself and get to see what your doing vs what you think your doing.