Thread: Plate mount
View Single Post
Old December 6th, 2019, 12:27 PM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I have a size 10 boot(283mm foot) and had a 193mm wheelbase, I'm currently on a 186mm wheelbase. The only main difference I've noticed is that when pulling the toe up off the floor , it's easier with the axle farther forward in the rear.

Likewise, it's harder to lift the heel off the floor by pushing the toe down the farther the axle is placed past the ball of the foot.

As with anything modulations of a "normal" mount has some form of compromise. My friends and I do a lot of high speed skating with a focus on agility, so our plate alignment is slightly heel out from center, toe in. Very far forward, and centered under the heel.

This won't turn as well at slow speeds with all 4 wheels on the floor. But at slow speeds, footwork is better, if you have the physical prowess and skillsets for it that is... So the shortcoming it has for us is negligible with our use. A figure skater would HATE our setups though, you can't do a loop in them very easily lol. And many rhythm moves are kind of taxing due to the front axles being far forward. It makes spinning on the front axles harder because the muscles have to work more, and the sensitivity is elevated, also we have softer suspension to help with plate leaning so that's also harder to control with a soft setup.

There is a lot that goes into a skate that people dont even consider. The most overlooked aspect is how stiff a boots sole is. Stiffer is better SOMETIMES, not all the time. It can effect grip, and the ease of which one can modulate a slide.

What's the bottom line? There is no right/wrong really, its subject to the task at hand, which varies from skater to skater as their preferred goal does, and what they like to accomplish that goal.

I like to select a plate size for my own purpose as centered under the heel or just a little forward of that if need be, where ones natural balance points are. Like where you would seek to pivot on a wooden floor with some socks on. I personally like my front axle about where I'd pick up a pencil with my toes, that is where I select my wheelbase from. Those 2 points.

Most people who complain about "skateboard mounts" typically dont skate super fast all the time, and would want something shorter that better fit the majority of the skating they will be doing.

For newer skaters, I'd error on the side of more plate(wheelbase) than less, and turn them onto learning how to tune their skates suspension. This retains a lot of stability and does not comprise as much turning as most people believe. However if you get the rear axle too far back, getting leverage on it to initiate plate lean is more difficult.

Unfortunately, quads dont have it easy like inlines where you dont need to redrill to make lateral/toe in/toe out /heel in /heel out adjustments. About every time you would want to try a modification, you have to redrill lol. But a cheap pair of soccer cleats with the cleats taken off is great for experimenting.