View Single Post
Old December 18th, 2017, 07:35 AM   #11
likkwid
likkwid

Default Hardly back for a day, but happy to give input!

To answer that, we never really insisted on running overly long plates, or cranking down our truck settings, in fact, those are both a matter of preference, but still pretty much a resounding "no-go"....

But, I've owned more plates than I'd like to type up for the sake of time.

Realistically, an aluminum plate is always best, but most jamskaters can't really afford them.

I'll highlight a few collective notes that have came from the jamskating community throughout the years regarding the most popular choices:

*Roll-lines aren't a terrible choice, but the sharp turn-in can make things a bit sketchy. Also, the strange sizing (metric), unavailability of parts locally (for most), and high price are particularly off-putting to many.
(Fun fact: the plug angle actually causes dance plugs to SHEAR, when doing plug spins which is a PITA to remove, due to the fact that American made dance plugs are standard thread, and everything on the RL plates are metric thread)

*Pro-lines are the original jamskating plate. The toe plug distance/angle, kingpin angle, plus light weight, and overall strength made these the plate "du jour" during jamskating's inception. When parts started disappearing to keep them going, skaters started to make the switch to either power-tracs, or roll-lines. The re-release really does the originals justice, leaving nothing to be desired, and we're well worth the wait. (Nifty tidbit: the plug standoff sits further forward than a power-trac, so plug spins were not only more easily accomplished, but also protected the toes of your boots better than a power-trac, without having to buy a plate that mounted end-to-end)

*Power-tracs were the runners up to the throne that pro-lines once held for quite some time. Sharing SIMILAR dimensions and construction methods, as well as the same base plate material, they were pretty good for the price point. They offered more readily part availability than the previous 2, and they were a lower price point. There were downsides, however. Of course at the time, only plastic trucks were available. Also, the plugs sit very close to the front wheel in relation to the front wheels, which results in dragging and subsequently, wearing through the toe of the boot. The solution to this is to run a longer plate, but for many, this isnt an option, or they just dont care. Lol....

*reactors, please read the overall comments on the pro-line, it really does not differ much, other than aesthetics, and a negligible amount of weight. Still a quality plate.

*Snyder advantage - I've owned 3 sets of these, and I love them. There are a few downsides to them, however. The cushions retain their position when lifting off. Not a good thing to find out when you're trying to land almost anything on a different edge, but sure makes for good entertainment! Also, the plates are left and right foot oriented. This doesn't mean much of anything except the plug standoff taper inward toward the opposite foot. Combined with the same close orientation as the powertrac, accelerated toe wear happens often. High price point keeps about 95% of jamskaters away.
(Crazy DYK: around 2004, the first documented aluminum trucks for the powertrac were machined from Snyder advantage parts. They belonged to my brother, Kyle Cumper)

That's really as far as I can go for the moment, unless someone wants specific input on a particular plate... in which case, I do not object.

I've owned all of the above, and then numerous others. There were even a few that were prototypes, made who knows where. Lol....

But, I personally enjoy a power-Trac. It feels normal to me. Even when the trucks are let out all the way, I still feel like I can reign them in. Not to mention, there's always plenty that machining can always fix

The more spent on equipment, doesn't always translate to better, however. I've been bested several times over by some skaters that ran nothing more than probes.

What's most important is finding what hits all the marks, or at least comes the closest.

Hope this helps!
likkwid is offline   Reply With Quote