View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #11
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Ensuring that this stress load is evenly distributed is the goal.
How do you figure? Thinking about indoor skating specifically for a moment, the load is asymmetric by design. One foot crosses over, while the other doesn't. Since the movement of the lower body is created by opposing forces in and through the core, that means your core is worked differently for the two legs. In fact, one side of my abs is stronger than the other.

In addition, as you keep your chest up, more of the force required to keep it there is moved forward - to the abs. You aren't evenly distributing it between the back and abs, but moving the lion's share of the job to one muscles group. This muscle group is designed to take the load - the muscle groups at the front and back of the core are not symmetric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
This is where posture has a huge effect. The bend angle position of the pelvis as you skate is a major concern for how much pain will develop as you skate for extended periods in the knees bent, low skater position.

Many skaters bend too much at the point where back meets pelvis, and too little at the hip joints. Learning to feel and control (with core strength) the tilt angle of your pelvis as you hold skater position is a good place to start tuning your skating posture for less pain.

Once you begin to feel how adjusting pelvic angle lowers and raises the stress & pain at specific locations of your lower back, you start having the necessary feedback to experience and establish the needed posture adjustments as you skate.
The rest of this is true. I just think you have the underlying reason wrong.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote