Thread: Speed Events
View Single Post
Old August 26th, 2017, 10:08 PM   #12
gopherfan

Rollin' on The River results. I count 98 skaters (only 44 full marathon distance). They even added a coupon code for 20% off registration for the last couple weeks (presumably due to the low registration numbers). Last year there were 133 participants.

Though I said differently on another post, this summer I decided to race a couple Trexlertown races as well as the Montreal Marathon (actually now called Marathon Roller of Laval). The Montreal participation is well below what it used to be (26 skaters for the marathon). It is held in an industrial area and the pavement is gatorback - I actually had an axle come out during the race. Trexlertown participation is down a little, but seems to be at fairly healthy levels. Trexlertown is largely indoor skaters which may explain why it seems to be outperforming the trend of outdoor races. They also have cash purses for the top mens, womens, and masters finishers. I'll be honest, this was a big driver for me showing up to a second race since it covered registration and gas money. Of course, the fact I was the top masters finisher says something about the participation level (and my willingness to push the pace up the hills against the flatlanders).
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote