Thread: Arius toe stop
View Single Post
Old April 30th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #21
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama of death View Post
Kennedy, you where correct the bolt was over drilled on manufacture. The odd flanges I mentioned are in reality burrs left from cutting a round hole to be hexagonal. They are not/where not designed to fail at any specific torque, though I swear I have seen this done somewhere before.

There are any number of ways to create the hex shaped hole. The most common that I know of is to forge the hex shape into the solid stock using a die shaped like an allen wrench. The other is to pre drill the hole and then forge the hex shape. I am guessing with the Arius, the hole was pre drilled and then the shape forged. The problem with this method is it leaves the burrs behind and makes measuring and visual inspecting the parts difficult. My ASSumption is that someone set up the die and measured the depth without removing the burr. Just a guess.

Torque limiting fasteners have their applications, but I am pretty sure this is not the case. I had one bolt fail as I was tightening it. It failed with just a few ft-lbs of torque, like it was made of plastic instead of steel. The torque was way below what it should have been to cause a failure.

The axis-pin still has an oddly placed groove at the base of the head which still looks like a shear point to me but I am no longer holding onto this accretion.

I think the relief you are seeing is a tool relief and not much more than that. IMO, designing the axis pin to fail would be a recipe for disaster, ie: massive lawsuits.

Wishful thinking on my part. Though I still feel the pressure required to fix the toe-stops into the plate is excessive. I am accustomed to the feel of tightening a toe-stop screw on cast alum SG Competitors. This difference, I suppose, could be chocked up to harder heat treated 6061 Alum resisting bending more than the softer cast alum.

Any sense in that last statment Doc?
Another cause is that the threads could be oversized. Some of the cheap import tooling does not perform as expected. In theory, taps are supposed to cut when going in, then back out. With cheap Chinese / Taiwanese tooling, they cut going in and going out. The cut while going in is typically to size, but when it is backed out it cuts the threads again causing them to be oversized. Been there, done that.

The difficulty of getting them to tighten is more like related to geometry than material. The range of modulus of elasticity for aluminum alloys doesn't vary that much. Despite what aluminum alloy & heat treat is used, the stiffness is going to be about the same. Like I said above, the toes stop threads could be oversized. The pinch bolts could be threaded incorrectly, the geometry of the plate could have something to do with it.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote