View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2017, 07:49 PM   #3
40yearslater

A different view:
I skate mainly with art boots (Riedell 120 - the low-end boot, but have skated in 297s).
I also skated for about a year or two in a low cut set-up (the budget Riedell, R3, I think) after putting a Suregrip DA45 degree plate on it. I liked the plate so much that I put them on the 120s and went back to the higher boot.
I personally like the higher boot, just seems to give greater control - smooth and easy transitions.
I didn't have any difficulty getting used to differing heel heights, going back and forth between the two set-ups a number of times. For me, the heel keeps you forward, on the balls of your feet, in athletic stance, like skiing - knee and weight centered over the pivot. I think that you can adjust to either low or high.
As far as reactiveness: the DA45 were significantly more responsive than the baseline plates that came with the 120s originally.
I think it might take a couple of sessions, but the increased responsiveness in plates is an incredible improvement. The adaptation kicks in pretty quickly: different modes.
The Edea and Roll-line Variant are both really high quality, but both would serve you well, I think. I think the Edea has a substantially higher heel than Riedell. The Riedell 220 looks pretty good, might be worth looking at. Less pricey than the Edea or the 297. (Though I think the Edea and Variant are available as a bundle/package.)
103 wheels will slide a lot more easily. If you skate on a wood floor, that can open up a whole different aspect. Seems the Detroit and Chicago skaters work with that quality - decreased grip seems to allow for quicker, smooth changes. Probably slide out a few times before you find that point where the grip gives way. Then there's that whole sideways slide thing in Detroit....
40yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote